*Hindu Rights to Survive with Dignity & Sovereignty *Join Hindu Freedom Movement to make Bharat Hindu Rashtra within 2025 *Jai Shri Ram *Jayatu Jayatu Hindu Rashtram *Editor: Upananda Brahmachari.
HINDRAF calls upon all peace loving Malaysians irrespective of their religion, race, color and creed to join us in a candle light vigil at Dataran Merdeka on September 5, 2009 at 6.45pm in solidarity to uphold the concept that all Malaysians are equal with one another for their individual right to co-exist without infringing and inciting racial hatred amongst us and create a greater sense of public insecurity.
HINDRAF stresses that Malaysia is for all Malaysians in equality and fairness in protecting one another for the public benefit rather than being marauded by UMNO led Federal government against public interest as seen in the latest incident in Seksyen 23 in Shah Alam.
Those organizations that are interested to collabarate and walk with us, please call Selvan on 016-3137840 after 6pm. To our Muslim brothers and sisters fasting during this period please call Shanti on 019-621 1101 for special arrangements.
HINDRAF – Chairman
MCCBCHST (Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism & Taoism) calls on all concerned to be calm and reasonable so that the authorities and the parties concerned will be able to find a peaceable agreement and understanding regarding the protest staged by some residents of Section 22 in Shah Alam, Selangor against the construction of a Hindu Temple in the vicinity.
Nothing can be gained by provocative action on the part of any side.
MCCBCHST regrets that a severed cow’s head was brought along in the demonstration. The cow is sacred to the Hindu religion.
MCCBCHST urges that unhappy residents will give the religious authorities of both sides a chance to discuss matters with the state authorities so that an amicable solution can be arrived at.
Religious issues are best resolved around the negotiation table where mutual respect can be shown to all. No further demonstration by any side should be contemplated or allowed.
Peace and order should be maintained for the sake of all residents.
MCCBCHST, August 28, 2009
Rev. Dr Thomas Philips, President
The Cow-Head Lesson for Merdeka: Delegitimize Violence and Hatred
We, the undersigned civil society organizations are shocked, angered and saddened by the “Cow-Head protest” in Shah Alam last Friday, 28 August 09, against a proposed Hindu temple in Section 23 of the city. The carrying of the head of a freshly slaughtered cow, a sacred animal to the Hindus, and the unveiled threat of bloodshed on the eve of Merdeka celebration suggests that all Malaysians need to reflect deeply about our 52 years of nationhood, and the clarion call of 1Malaysia.
From the outset, these heinous acts of crime perpetrated by the irresponsible few must NEVER be seen as a conflict between the two faiths or the two faith communities. All major spiritual traditions, Islam and Hinduism included, uphold peace and human dignity as their common and core values. Our spirituality and love for humanity mandates us for the perpetual quest for peace and abhorrence of all forms of hatred and civil disorder.
The Shah Alam incident sadly reveals that violence and hatred are still inadequately delegitimized in our society. We exhort all Malaysians to unite in our joint efforts to decry and delegitimize violence and hatred to prevent any individual or grouping from resorting to intimidation and provocation when faced with any town-planning disputes or rows of similar nature.
We the undersigned, taking cognizance of the above, do hereby:
1. URGE that all disputes in civil society must be resolved through peaceful means such as peaceful demonstrations, rational dialogues, extensive consultations and legal suits. The Selangor State Government’s plan to hold a town hall meeting to facilitate communication and engagement with all stakeholders is highly commendable.
2. CONDEMN in the strongest possible language any act to humiliate and intimidate any ethno-religious community, in this case the irreligious and irresponsible display of a cow head. In Shah Alam incident, not only the Hindus are humiliated and hurt but also all thinking Malaysians – Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Sikh, those of other spiritual traditions and atheist. We particularly share the pain and anguish of the Shah Alam Hindu community.
3. URGE all religious authorities, community leaders and political parties to unreservedly condemn the perpetrators of the reprehensible “Cow-Head” act. Every racial and religious bigot should be shamed and distanced by the general public especially by their ethno-religious community, which they seek to represent. Political parties must also take disciplinary action against members involved in inciting hatred. This would deprive them the pleasure and gratification of self-righteousness and heroism. Legal punishment alone may prove inadequate because it may instead grant the offenders the self-perceived honour of martyrdom.
4. SUPPORT a thorough investigation of those responsible for the “Cow-Head” protest for threatening violence (not sedition) on both the local Hindu community and the elected State Government of Selangor. Threats of violence, for whatever reason; has no place in civilized society. Violence must be condemned and can only be completely delegitimized when society has zero tolerance for it and every offender is appropriately punished.
5. EXPRESS shock and dismay at the failure of the police force to stop the protestors from issuing their threats of bloodshed. An independent investigation on professional negligence should be immediately initiated to examine these policing failures of a potentially fulminating racial and religious crisis. This incident among others further highlights the dire importance and urgent need for an Independent Police Complaint and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC). The IPCMC is a must if the Najib Administration is genuinely committed to peace in Malaysia.
6. CALL on all Malaysians to heed our plea to completely delegitimize violence and hatred and to strive towards its elimination from our public life. Let this be our joint resolution for our nation’s forthcoming Merdeka anniversary. Let us usher in a Malaysia, which cherishes the values of peace, reason, justice, freedom, equity and inclusion for all Malaysians.
***62 kumpulan yang menandatangani/62 signatory groups (sehingga/as at 20090831, 1400)
1. 1BLACKMalaysia Facebook Group
2. All Women’s Action Society Malaysia (AWAM)
3. Centre for Policy Initiatives (CPI)
4. Civil Rights Committee, Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly
5. Civil Society Committee, LLG Cultural Development Centre (LLGCSC)
6. Civil Society Initiative for Parliamentary Reform (CSI@Parliament)
7. Coalition of Malaysian NGOs Against Persecution of Palestinians (COMPLETE)
8. Coalition of Selangor Indian NGOs
9. Consumer Association of Klang
10. Council of Churches of Malaysia (CCM) Youth
11. Council of Malaysia Indian Trustee
12. Durham Malaysian Scholars (DMS)
13. Friends in Conversation (FIC)
14. Group of Concerned Citizens (GCC)
15. Hindu Youth Organization, Port Klang
16. Human Development and Research Centre
17. Islamic Medical Association of Malaysia (IMAM)
18. Islamic Renaissance Front (IRF)
19. Justice for Beng Hock Facebook Group
20. Kelab Sukan Depot Port Klang
21. Klang Vellarun Kalai Pannai
22. Letchumi Pooja Dhana Manbran Klang
23. Majlis Kelab Belia Tamil Selangor
24. Malaysia Belia Hindu Negeri Selangor
25. Malaysia Hindu Sangam Klang Council
26. Malaysia Hindu Sangam Selangor State Council
27. Malaysia Indian Youth Council Selangor
28. Malaysian AIDS Council
29. Malaysian Hindu Dharma Mamandram Selangor
30. Malaysian Social Research Institute (MSRI)
31. Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF)
32. Nadaraikia Sangam Selangor
33. Palestine Centre of Excellence (PACE)
34. Pamban Swami Maha Teja Mandala Sabai
35. People’s Parliament
36. Persatuan Alumni PBTUSM (Lihua) Selangor dan Kuala Lumpur
37. Persatuan Kebajikan Bharathana Selangor
38. Persatuan Kebajikan Cahaya Wawasan Selangor
39. Persatuan Kebajikan Nammakkal
40. Persatuan Kebajikan Vanniar
41. Persatuan Kemajuan Pendidikan Malaysia
42. Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (Empower)
43. Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor & Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas)
44. Persatuan Pembaca Tamil Klang
45. Persatuan Peniaga Little India Klang
46. Persatuan Penyelidikan Astronomi Selangor
47. Persatuan Prihatin Belia Malaysia
48. Persatuan Thiruvallavar
49. Persatuan Wawasan India Selangor
50. Pertubuhan Jamaah Islah Malaysia (JIM)
51. Pertubuhan Kebudayaan dan Kesenian India Selangor
52. Pertubuhan Kesedaran Hari Krishna Klang
53. Pusat Komas
54. Research for Social Advancement (REFSA)
55. Selangor Indian Videographers Association
56. Sri Vadivelu Culture and Welfare Association Selangor
57. Sri Vaishnava Paribalana Saba
58. Suara Raykat Malaysia (SUARAM)
59. The Divine Life Society Port Klang
60. The Micah Mandate (TMM)
61. Vishnu Periyaval Sabai
62. Writer Alliance for Media Independence (WAMI)
The Undersigned …. sign in online petition at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/cowheadmerdeka/
Hindraf ( Hindu Rights Action Force ) Malaysia, has filed a police report on the ‘cow head’ protest and urged the police to act swiftly. K Selvam acting for Hindraf
lodged the report at the Shah Alam district police headquarters. He was accompanied by 16 leaders and supporters.
“We wonder why the police have yet to take any action against the protesters although they have promised to act swiftly. Until today, nothing has been done,” he said.
The act of marching with the cow’s head could create racial tension. “They marched about 300 metres with the head….it was seditious and the police did not do anything (to stop them),” he said.
After the Friday Prayer on last Friday, some 50 residents from Section 23 in Shah Alam staged the protest against the proposal to relocate a Hindu temple to their area by carrying the head of a cow by its horns to the State Government Building. Before dispersing, several protesters spat and stomped on the cow’s head.
By implications this is clearly inflammatory and provocative, as the cow is a religious symbol of the Hindus – a significant part of the Malaysian populace.
This action should have immediately invited the application of the Seditions Act by the Police -it is expressly for this purpose that this law exists.
Quote “Act 15 SEDITION ACT 1948
3. (1) A “seditious tendency” is a tendency — …….
(e) to promote feelings of ill will and hostility between different races or classes of the population of Malaysia;…..
4. (1) Any person who—
(a) does or attempts to do, or makes any preparation to do,or conspires with any person to do, any act which has or which would, if done, have a seditious tendency; shall be guilty of an offence and shall, on conviction, be liable for a first offence to a fine not exceeding five thousand ringgit or to
imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to both
Imagine what would have happenned if a Chinese group in Kedah had taken a head of a pig like this when their slaughterhouse was demolished to the gates of the Government to protest against the act of demolishment….. Just imagine.
I think it would have setoff a tremendous furore across the country and all those involved would have been dealt with summarily and immediately.It would have been seen as a terribly provocative act………. Compare!
Kuala Lumpur, Sep. 1 (ANI): Over 100 people have been questioned in Friday’s ‘cow’s head’ protest against a temple relocation proposal in Malaysian city of Shah Alam.
On Friday, nearly 50 protesters gathered at State Secretariat building’s gate carrying a cow’s decapitated head. They warned of further action if a temple was constructed in Section 23 of the city to facilitate greater accessibility to devotees.
The New Strait Times quoted district police chief Noor Azam Jamaludin as saying that the protestors have been identified on the basis of pictures taken during the event.
“Once police investigation is complete, we will refer the case to the deputy public prosecutor for further action,” he said adding that investigation was 80 percent complete.
Azam also informed that residents had lodged a general report clarifying that the cow’s head was not meant to hurt anyone’s religious sentiment.
“In the report, they stressed that the cow’s head only signified the stupidity of the state government and was not meant to touch the religious sensitivities of anyone,” he said.
Earlier, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak had expressed concern over the incident, and had asked the Inspector-General of Police, Musa Hassan, to investigate the matter.
The Section 19 temple is about 150 years old and was originally located in a plantation, but when the State Economic Development Corporation decided to develop the area into a housing estate, it left the temple there.Initially, the temple was supposed to be relocated to an industrial area in Section 22, but was moved to Section 23 to make it more accessible for devotees. Certain quarters had blamed the state government’s lack of consultation with the people for the latest incident. (ANI)
The Hindu American Foundation (HAF) has demanded the Malaysian government to conduct a quick and robust inquiry to identify and punish leaders of the mob involved in last week’s provocative and insensitive demonstration outside the Selangor state secretariat.
From another source it is learnt that some ‘ Overseas friends of Hindraf Malaysia’ in London, demonstrated to register their protest over the ‘ cow head rally in Malaysia’ on Monday 31th August 2009.
Umno (United Malays National Organisation) Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin has strongly condemned the protest against the relocation of a Hindu temple where angry residents paraded a severed cow’s head this afternoon.
Calling on the protesters to reflect on their action, he asked: “How would you feel if the proposal to build a mosque in a non-Muslim area – which is already happening – leads a group of non-Muslims to burn and stomp on the Quran?”
“Would not the Malays rise with anger? If yes, then parading with a cow’s head is just as insulting?” he added.
Khairy warned that such emotional acts could jeopardise peace in the country.
“If the residents were dissatisfied with the proposal to build a temple in their area, they should have used the existing channels to air their grouses,” he said.
‘Islam does not condone this.’
He said although a memorandum submitted earlier by the residents might have failed to change the state government’s stand on the issue, it was not an excuse to demonstrate in such an insulting manner as if this was an uncivilised country.
The Umno Youth leader added that he was saddened that the protest was done in the name of Malay non-governmental organisations and after Friday prayers in the month of Ramadhan.
“I believe this is not an action condoned by Islam, a religion which espouses humility and respect for other religions. This act is surely
to anger the Hindus,” he said.
“Where is the spirit of 1Malaysia, especially among the Malay Muslims who are the majority in this country. I pray that this incident does not lead to anything more serious,” he added.
Khairy said while he would rise to defend the dignity of Islam if the religion is belittled, “I will also voice out if other religions are insulted.”
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 28 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has directed Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan to investigate an incident in Shah Alam Friday where protestors used a cow’s head to vent their anger against the Selangor state government.
According to Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam, Najib informed him of this after he (Dr Subramaniam) had briefed the prime minister on the incident which took place outside the Selangor state secretariat after the Friday prayers.
“The prime minister has promised to look into it and asked the IGP to immediately act on the matter,” he said in a statement here.
In the incident, a small group of people said to be residents of Section 23 in Shah Alam had placed a cow’s head on the gates of the state secretariat building, apparently in protest against the construction of a Hindu temple in Section 23.
“The prime minister said he was very upset over the incident and wants it to be nipped in the bud,” Dr Subramaniam said.
He said that while the prime minister was promoting the 1Malaysia concept and racial unity, “this kind of action will hinder the process and put the clock back”.
Meanwhile, Musa said he had asked Selangor police chief Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar to investigate the case and take those responsible to task.
“I also urge witnesses to lodge police reports to enable us to take action against those involved,” he said when contacted today.
Khalid, when contacted, said action would be taken against those involved in the incident.
“Whatever problems you have, discuss them first,” he said.
This is what happens when you do things without using your brain.50 of you protested against the construction of a temple in malay majority area was right thing to do but to bring a cow’s head is 100% WRONG thing to do. it is an insult to Hindu religion and Islam does not allows it’s followers to insult or bring harm to other religions. It is the same act when pig heads were thrown in a surau at um recently by an ethnic Chinese Group.We hope the police will take stern action against the protesters.we want these things to stop once and for all from both side.